Have you ever taken a drag and the flavor of the e-juice seemed muted or less flavorful than usual? If you are learning how to make vape juice, then a little knowledge about vaper’s tongue will ensure that you always get the best of your recipes.
What is Vaper’s Tongue?
Vaper’s tongue is a condition where a vaper unexpectedly and without warning loses the ability to taste vape juice. It could last for 1-3 days, and in some cases, for two weeks. All the while you will not be able to taste your e-juice flavor. Vaper’s tongue is a universal phenomenon which means most if not every vaper will experience it from time to time.
Vaper’s tongue will not tamper with the nicotine hit you will get or the vapor production, only your ability to taste the full flavor output. It feels like your tongue suddenly developed a thick coating that shut off your ability to taste your favorite vape juice.
Let’s go through some of the causes of the dreaded vaper’s tongue.
First a bit of science. We have 2000 to 8000 taste buds in our mouth, talk about a big deal. These taste buds regenerate every ten days. Your gustatory sense or your sense of taste need saliva to keep those your taste buds working efficiently.
What vaping can do to you is;
- It leads to a fatigued tongue which then leads to a dry mouth devoid of sufficient saliva to keep your taste buds up and running. In the end, no saliva equals inefficient taste buds, or better put, the inability to taste anything properly.
- It causes what we call flavor fatigue. It is commonly known that smell or the olfactory sense accounts for up to 70% of perceived flavor. As a result, without smell, you will hardly notice the difference between flavors.
Since the olfactory sense loses its ability to perceive an aroma when it has been exposed to it for an extended period, it also means you will lose the ability to accurately distinguish an e-juice flavor you have been exposed to for an extended period.
Another cause of vapers tongue is due to smoking. Smoking impairs both your ability to smell and taste. If you still smoke or you recently quit, your ability to taste anything fully will be impaired. The upside is that your taste and smell will recover with time.
Now you know what can cause vapers tongue. How do you fix it?
- Quit Smoking: Vaping is generally supposed to help curb that so there is no reason to be smoking and still be vaping. If you are not satisfied with commercial e-juices, you can make your own DIY e-juice Flavors. Quitting smoking will greatly benefit your health and your ability to taste. It may take a while for your taste buds to be back at full power, but when they do, you will be grateful.
- Reduce Caffeine and Alcohol Intake: Avoid anything that can dry out your mouth. Beverages containing caffeine or alcohol can dry out your mouth. This can lead to dehydration and ultimately vaper’s tongue.
- Drink More Fluids: You need to keep hydrated. Drink plenty of water if you vape often. Once you feel your mouth drying up, grab a glass of water.
- Brush Your Tongue: You thought it was just for fresh breath, well no. Keeping your tongue clean by brushing it or using tongue scrapers to remove the film that accumulates on your tongue. This, in turn, will leave your taste buds fresh and clean to capture flavor.
- Take Breaks in Between Vapes: Chain vaping may just be your thing, but know that it will impair your ability to taste and smell over time. You do not want this. Learn to take longer breaks in between vaping so that your taste buds can get to rest before you engage them again.
- Change E-juices: No matter how much you love one e-juice flavor, you will not be doing yourself any good by vaping it all day and all night. Eventually, the flavor will become less appealing. Occasionally, take a break from your favorite e-juice and try out some others. You can always go back to it later.
This will be way more fun if you make your own e-juice because you get to mix up flavors you can always switch to without having to burn a hole in your pocket. As a plus, when you make e-juice with flavors from Flavorah, you will hardly notice that you dropped what was your favorite e-juice flavor.
If you ever experience vapers tongue, try out one of these tips to help you fix it.